Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Perfect BBQ

Yesterday we went 27 straight hours without power (prior to that the power was on for 3 hours and previously off for 16 hours). We had no hot water for showers and baths, an entire refrigerator of 'foul' food needed to be tossed, and the battery that runs a few lamps, 2 fans, and the wifi had run out of power.

And it was warm. Having already been through a 'hot' season here, I will not say that yesterday was hot, but rather, warm. It was sweaty sleeping weather.

We decided to get outside and BBQ.

I must share these recipes as it was wonderful dinner and an ending to a 'not so pleasant' day. With a headlamp on, I chopped up lots of fresh veggies into big chunks... onions, green peppers, redpeppers, and cherry tomatoes. I poured lots of olive oil and lime juice over them, then put them on skewers.

The beef was perfect for a BBQ as I had marinated it the day before in soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic, and a shot of whiskey!

For the first time since I moved here, I found a small Chinese grocer downtown that sells blocks of tofu for 400 cfa. ($1) I marinated that too, in soy.

But what I am most proud of, is the couscous salad I made up. I must share as it was DELICIOUS...and SIMPLE.

First, I melted about 5 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan, then tossed the 1 1/2 cup uncooked couscous in the butter. I then added 2 1/2 cups water, brought it to a boil, then covered with a lid. When all the water was absorbed, I tossed with a fork.

I finely chopped some chives, orange peppers, cukes, and fresh parsley and added it to the couscous. I then squeezed 5 limes plus lots of olive oil on top and tossed. Season with salt and pepper.


It was heaven.

It almost felt like camping last night, as we sat under the stars sipping warm wine after a good meal. And it ALMOST removed the frustration and anger of living in a 3rd world country that is not able to provide running water or able to keep the lights on.

No comments:

Post a Comment