Saturday, February 13, 2010

Greek Stew

In anticipation of a snowstorm last week, I excitedly got out the crock pot. I'm not sure what it is, but if there is a chance of snow or a rainstorm I MUST have the house smelling good with a slow cooked meal. I love the idea of hunkering down and embracing the cozy indoor mood. I suppose in Africa, this mood will be hard to capture!

My mother in law, Sandra, made a wonderful slow cooked meal while I was staying with her that I had to make. It's a Greek Stew, is very simple, and tastes delicious.

Greek Stew:
3 lbs stew meat cut into 1" pieces
1 jar boiling onions
1 or 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
1 cup red wine
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cumin (Sandra leaves this out)
1 cup raisins or currants

In a crock pot, add all ingredients except the 1 jar of boiling onions. Cook all day on low or until meat is cooked throughout. Stir occasionally. Add more wine and/or the 2nd can of tomato paste if you would like it more saucy. 1/2 hour before serving, add the jar of onions.

Serve with a nice salad and good crusty bread. Mmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful pics and thanks for the recipe! Happy Valentine's day full of love and wonder.

    ReplyDelete