Friday, March 26, 2010

The Morning I Took This Picture...

...Laird smiled. And it wasn't a 'gas' smile or a sleep smile but a real honest happy smile. I was so happy my heart wanted to burst.

But of course, as soon as he started to smile my camera battery died.

I am not the photographer I used to be. Leaving a camera without a full battery is a no-no.

Laird and Dylan


Laird seconds before smiling.


Content Dylan

Yesterday, we met our new pediatrician in Senegal. His English isn't perfect, but we were able to communicate just fine. He adores children, has his own practice that the Embassy recommends, is the Chief of Pediatric Oncology at the local hospital, and also teaches at the University. He eased my mind about my fear of the boys getting Malaria. He explained that here in Africa, when a child or an adult gets a slight fever, you must call the doctor as soon as possible. When a fever is present, a malaria blood test is given right away. If the test is positive, then medication is started right away and all will be fine. But, if there is a delay in getting on medication, than recovery can be difficult. He said that here in Africa, do not give children tylenol to fight fevers, but to call the doctor right away.

I'm not sure why the United States insists on being different with the rest of the world with the metric system. I am trying to figure out kilograms, litres, centimeters, celsius, etc. Having said that, Laird is now 4.5 kilos or 9 lbs 14 ounces and Dylan is 3.8 kilos or 8 lbs. 5 ounces.

No comments:

Post a Comment