Friday, December 4, 2009

Angora Baby Booties

My friend Lolly, passed along this adorable baby bootie pattern. She found it in “Last Minute Knitted Gifts” (by Joelle Hoverson of Purl Soho).

The pattern was intimidating at first, as I have never done 'double knitting' before. Double knitting is working in the round with two needles, or also a way to create a reversible garment.
After spending some time reading and re-rereading the pattern, and even a phone call to Lolly, I finally figured it out.

Would you believe that both booties took an hour total to make?! They are newborn size, but you can adjust your gauge/needle size to change size of the bootie.

I used an angora yarn my sister found for me at Central Yarn shop here in Portland Maine. Believe it or not, she had a difficult time finding 100% angora at the shops. The brand is Fox Brand Superchoice French Angora made in France. It is so soft and had some nice amount of fuzz. One skein is 10 grams, and both booties take exactly one skein if you follow the gauge from the pattern.

Pictured above are the booties that Lolly made, as my camera is in Africa. Lolly added a finishing touch of a two bows to the bootie. The chain pattern can be found on http://purlbee.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment